httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Generic cache architecture
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 21:25:17 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> A front-end cache is a completely different beast from a
> back-end cache.  It doesn't make any sense to me to try to
> make them the same, and it certainly isn't elegant.  SSL
> session, ldap credentials, sessions, and all those related
> things are trivial memory blocks that *are* suitable for
> back-end caching.

/nod - I can appreciate the distinction.  That said, the we will be better
for grouping front end cache providers together, with one solid reference
implementation (play your optimization games in experimental providers),
and likewise a framework for the back end cache providers with one solid
reference implementation, and I suspect httpd gets a whole lot more simple
and stable with these available to third party authors.

Bill