httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <brian.ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: Generic cache architecture
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 20:47:10 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
  > provide this functionality once, and reuse
> On the contrary, it makes no sense whatsoever to use a generic
> storage facility for cached HTTP responses in a front-end cache
> because those responses can only be delivered at maximum speed
> through a single system call IFF they are not generic.  That is
> why our front-end cache is not, and has never needed to be, a
> generic cache.

a generic cache can deliver objects in a single system call.  Thinks
VFS.  the "generic storage facility" may be only a thin wrapper around
something like current mod_disk_cache or it may be a memcache frontend,
or something completely different.

Trust me, I am extremely concerned about performance.

--
Brian Akins
Lead Systems Engineer