httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Generic cache architecture
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 19:53:21 GMT
Brian Akins wrote:
> Is anyone else interested in having a generic cache architecture?  (not
> http).  I have plenty of cases were I re-invent the wheel for caching
> various things (IP's, sessions, whatever, etc.).  It would be nice to
> have a provider based architecture for such things.

Let's talk about httpd.  We have a cache of ssl sessions.  We have a cache
of httpd response bodies.  We have a cache of ldap credentials.  A really
thorough mod_usertrack would have a cache of user sessions.

So really, it doesn't make sense to have these four wheels spinning out of
sync at different stages of stability and performance.  I'm strongly +1 to
provide this functionality once, and reuse.

While we are at it, the proxy backend requester should be generic enough that
if I need to fetch, say, a trusted CA reference from a backend (dmz) server,
that code shouldn't be rewritten either.  But it's not oriented to the request
so it would be good to see some more modularity on the proxy backend while we
improve the cache middle layer.

And finally (most important) none of this needs to target 2.2.  If 2.2 lives
5 months to be replaced by 2.4 - there is really no issue.  2.0 lived too long
because 2.1.x stayed in flux to long.

Bill