httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Possible new cache architecture
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 21:31:13 GMT
Davi Arnaut wrote:

>> The way HTTP caching works is a lot more complex than in your example, you
>> haven't taken into account conditional HTTP requests.
>
> I've taken into account the actual mod_disk_cache code!

mod_disk_cache doesn't contain any of the conditional HTTP request code,
which is why you're not seeing it there.

Please keep in mind that the existing mod_cache framework's goal is to
be a fully HTTP/1.1 compliant, content generator neutral, efficient,
error free and high performance cache.

Moving towards and keeping with the above goals is a far higher priority
than simplifying the generic backend cache interface.

To sum up - the cache backend must fulfill the requirements of the cache
frontend (generic or not), which in turn must fulfill the requirements
of the users, who are browsers, web robot code, and humans. To try and
prioritise this the other way round is putting the cart before the horse.

Regards,
Graham