httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Laying undead myths to rest
Date Mon, 08 May 2006 14:39:04 GMT
On Monday 08 May 2006 14:25, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 5/8/06, Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
> > There are a few undead "apache myths" still floating around,
> > due to clueless third-party tutorials.  I wonder if there's any value
> > in countering these zombies with specific notes in our documentation.
> >
> > Here's an example patch of the kind I have in mind:
>
> There isn't much hope to fight this sort of thing when it is still the
> only recommended configuration in the php docs:

If we explain that that's been wrong for 10 years, it might just
induce those ****s to fix their documentation.

We have other zombies to slay, but thankfully things like <Limit>
misuse are mostly faded, and "htaccess == password protection"
has lost much of its force.  Magic AddType is out there on its
own because we do nothing *active* to counter it, and someone
else who is widely assumed to know what they're talking about
continues to feed it.

--
Nick Kew