httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with Regressions
Date Mon, 08 May 2006 14:27:39 GMT
On Monday 08 May 2006 14:56, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
> On Mon, 8 May 2006, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> >> We should do better than leaving the users to rediscover and deal with
> >> regressions themselves, once we know there's a problem.  Can I suggest
> >> an Errata page, to list *all* known regressions in current/recent
> >> versions, linked from the main page alongside "Download/New
> >> Features/Changelog"?
> >
> > +1
> >
> > [REGRESSION] in the changelog might be good too for permanent tracking.
> >
> > Most useful would be to ship a new version within a small amount of
> > time that corrects only regressions and has no other changes (if at
> > all practical; desire is to limit testing concern to speed up
> > delivery).
>
> The same goes for security issues. For apache 2.2.0 there was only a
> note that "the following issues are fixed in the development version"
> or something similar, not exactly what you want as an end user when
> you're affected by that particilar issue.

Agreed.  An Errata page could have up to three subheadings:

* Security [known issues in current or near-current versions]
* Regressions [known issues where we broke something that worked before]
* Critical bugs [the most serious unpatched bugs from bugzilla,
as determined by us rather than some random bod who may or
may not have a clue].

> Either provide a patch, or provide a new version. Neither should be
> too difficult if you limit the scope to only fix the specific issue.

PR#37145 had a patch fairly quickly.  But it wasn't adequately publicised,
so every other poor sod proxying with 2.0.55 had to struggle with
exactly the same thing.  That's what we really should avoid.

Everything on the errata page needs a fix and/or a workaround.
So in the case of PR#37145 we'd have had "Apply the patch"
and "Downgrade to 2.0.54" as options.

--
Nick Kew