httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Davi Arnaut <d...@haxent.com.br>
Subject Re: Possible new cache architecture
Date Tue, 02 May 2006 23:26:33 GMT
On Wed, 03 May 2006 01:09:03 +0200
Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> Davi Arnaut wrote:
>
> > Graham, what I want is to be able to write a mod_cache backend _without_
> > having to worry about HTTP.
>
> Then you will end up with code that does not meet the requirements of
> HTTP, and you will have wasted your time.

Yeah, right! How ? Hey, you are using the Monty Python argument style.
Can you point to even one requirement of HTTP that my_cache_provider
wont meet ?

> Please go through _all_ of the mod_cache architecture, and not just
> mod_disk_cache. Also read and understand HTTP/1.1 gateways and caches,
> and as you want to create a generic cache, read and understand mod_ldap,
> a module that will probably benefit from the availability of a generic
> cache. Then step back and see that mod_cache is a small part of a bigger
> picture. At this point you'll see that as nice as your idea of a simple
> generic cache interface is, it's not going to be the most elegant
> solution to the problem.

blah, blah.. you essentially said: "I don't want a simpler interface,
I think the current mess is more elegant."

I have shown you that I can even wrap your messy cache_provider hooks
into a much simpler one, how can anything else be more elegant ?

--
Davi Arnaut