httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Email address on mail archive (fwd)
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 18:23:46 GMT
On 4/28/06, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On 4/27/06, Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:
> > I know there are people who still hold the idealistic view that we
> > shouldn't be obscuring email addresses at all.  Although I agree in
> > principle, I think the world has passed that view by.
>
> I think that obfuscation is completely pointless.  You're posting to a
> *public* mailing list.  If you can't understand that, well, I just
> don't care about people who whine.  The *only* solution that is valid
> is to use anti-spam tools on your end.  I have no desire to get into a
> never-ending arms race with spammers.  We can't win that battle on
> those terms.  -- justin

As I said, I'd love to agree with you.  But why don't you try asking
100 random subscribers to our users lists or 100 random bug submitters
whether they think it is obvious that their email address will be made
public.  A couple years ago, they might have agreed.  Now, I'd guess
the majority wouldn't think that is obvious at all.

Joshua.