httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brandon Fosdick <>
Subject Re: Buckets and brigades
Date Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:46:11 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:

Thanks. What book are you referring to?

>>         apr_bucket_brigade *bb;
>>         bb = apr_brigade_create(r->pool, r->connection->bucket_alloc);
>>         rc = ap_get_brigade(r->input_filters, bb, AP_MODE_READBYTES,
>>                                 APR_BLOCK_READ, DAV_READ_BLOCKSIZE);
> That's standard for the input chain.  ap_get_brigade just populates
> the brigade that was just created.

ah, it creates an empty brigade and then fills it with the request body...that makes more
By "populate", do you mean that it's making a copy of the bits?

I found ap_get_brigade in util_filter.h, and it says that it gets "the current bucket brigade
from the next filter on the filter stack". Intuitively (for me), "next filter" refers to a
filter that has yet to be called, so how does it already have the brigade when the "current
filter" doesn't? And then, right below that, is ap_pass_brigade, which passes the brigade
to the "next filter". I don't see anything about previous filters. Am I looking at typos or
am I missing something?

View raw message