httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 2.0.57 candidate
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:46:21 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
>
>>	Migrate to the jackrabbit notice, because at least it has been
>>	approved and we judge the inconvience of seemingly slightly
>>	adversarial to users less bad than the inconvience of having
>>	less credibility in legal matters.
>>
> If the latter has full approval from our true legal team, then
> I'm ++1 for handling is right now and being done with it. As mentioned
> before, this should be a universal ASF change, not just httpd.

This just isn't making sense as I read the svn tree for jackrabbit however.

Individual files contain -no- copyright, -no- indicication of where the
copyright claim is

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk/jackrabbit/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/

has JcrConstants.java pointing to http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
and claiming the license but no copyright.  That LICENSE.txt is bundled in the
tree (not, you'll note, LICENSE-2.0) at that level.  NOTICE.txt tells us...

This product includes software developed by

Based on source code originally developed by
Day Software (http://www.day.com/).

which is all well and good, but doesn't assert copyrights.

It's not until you climb all the way up to

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk/jackrabbit/

(outside of even the src/ tree!) that you discover...

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk/jackrabbit/README.txt

Welcome to Apache Jackrabbit  <http://jackrabbit.apache.org/>

License (see also LICENSE.txt)

Collective work: Copyright 2006 The Apache Software Foundation.

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at

limitations under the License.

[more chewy README.txt goodness]

I'm really completely unclear how this protects the files we author, the files
authored by others (which we have appropriately appropriated) and the files on
which no copyright is claimed (e.g. apr/ examples public domain.)