httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: What are we doing about...
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:19:39 GMT
Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:09:35AM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>AFAICT, sources are -all- still copyright 2005.  That's not right.
>

> The 1.3 branch is 2004, and it had a 2005 release ;)
>

>>Even if we determine we'll -quit- updating the copyrights until they
>>are modified, we need to update them when we modify them.
>

> Everytime we add a change we are updating the actual copyright. I don't
> know about policy, but the copyright notice itself doesn't really matter
> from a legal perspective, it merely serves as a courtesy of where to
> find potential licensors.

Whoa - that's not correct(!)  Although the details are tricky, and although
copyright no longer requires 'registration' of the copyrighted material, you
still must claim it or lose it, afaik.  (IANAL)

> The dates don't matter except as to establish
> a minimum term for the copyright, but the real copyright is related to
> when the author dies - not when the code was written (so we should
> encourage young healthy committers! ;).

Uhmmm... yes and no, the maximum (not minimum) term is interrelated to the
death of the copyright holder, AIUI.

> Also there isn't a lack of material which would establish when some code
> was written.

Hehe, now that's true...

> Updating the copyright notice in each file sounds like way too much work
> :) I hate both the old yearly massive diff, and trying to remember to
> change the value every time. How about we embed $Date$ and leave it at
> that?
>
> We can either just do something like;
>
> /*
>  * Copyright the Apache Software Foundation or its licensors, as
>  * applicable.
>  *
>  * $LastChangedDate$
>  *
>  * Licensed ...
>
> Or include the start date too.
>
> Well, by some means, I'm -0 on anything which isn't automated :)

Maybe a post-commit that looks at sources for expected patterns, e.g.
/* Copyright nnnn-nnnn

and autofixes them on commit?  Is that doable?

Alternately, if svn can dump us a list of files touched in the present year,
we might be able to script that through our usual copyright update pass.  It
would be a pre-roll process, e.g. we would touch them as we roll a release.

Bill