httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <brian.ak...@turner.com>
Subject generalized cache modules
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:16:26 GMT
Was playing with memcached and mod_cache when I had some thoughts.

-mod_cache should be renamed to mod_http_cache
-new modules mod_cache (or some inventive) name would be a more general
purpose cache)

So mod_http_cache would simply be a front end to mod_cache providers.
These providers do not have to know anything about http, only how to
fetch, store, expire, etc. "objects."

Some example mod_cache providers could be simplified versions of
mod_disk_cache and mod_mem_cache as well as the to-be-written
mod_memcached (mod_memcached_cache?).

So cache providers would be fairly simply to write and mod_http_cache
could handle all the nastiness with http specific stuff (Vary, etc.)

My biggest mental block is how to have the configuration for this not be
absolutely horrific.

Thoughts?

--
Brian Akins