httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r392948 - /httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x/STATUS
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:27:38 GMT
Jorge Schrauwen wrote:
> I was wondering this too while parsing htpasswd files in php.
> all others have a identified in front to see what encrypt it used...
> Why doesn't crypt have one?

Because why would anyone have a passwd file that doesn't use crypt()?

Have to remember htpasswd followed the passwd shadow file, and that was always
using crypt.  Nobody at the time foresaw a reason to do anything else.  The
identifier tags came later.  Why plain didn't gain an identifier tag is beyond me.

Bill