httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: What are we doing about...
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:15:41 GMT
On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:09:35AM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> AFAICT, sources are -all- still copyright 2005.  That's not right.

The 1.3 branch is 2004, and it had a 2005 release ;)

> Even if we determine we'll -quit- updating the copyrights until they
> are modified, we need to update them when we modify them.

Everytime we add a change we are updating the actual copyright. I don't
know about policy, but the copyright notice itself doesn't really matter
from a legal perspective, it merely serves as a courtesy of where to
find potential licensors. The dates don't matter except as to establish
a minimum term for the copyright, but the real copyright is related to
when the author dies - not when the code was written (so we should
encourage young healthy committers! ;).

Also there isn't a lack of material which would establish when some code
was written.

Updating the copyright notice in each file sounds like way too much work
:) I hate both the old yearly massive diff, and trying to remember to
change the value every time. How about we embed $Date$ and leave it at
that?

We can either just do something like;

/*
 * Copyright the Apache Software Foundation or its licensors, as
 * applicable.
 *
 * $LastChangedDate$
 *
 * Licensed ...

Or include the start date too.

Well, by some means, I'm -0 on anything which isn't automated :)