httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: Suggestion to significanlty improve performance of apache httpd
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:34:25 GMT

Hey Phil,

we're always responsive to such suggestions, but I think we've beaten
you to it, at least somewhat, see below for what may be useful
resources.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 04:16:45PM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Much Better Solution:
> *******************
>
> * Modify Apache so that the entire header is read before the socket (or
> possibly just header data) are passed to an Apache process (kind of like
> a lingerd in reverse)

Apache httpd 2.2 has support for kernel-level accept filters which do
exactly that;

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#acceptfilter

That way the kernel buffers the request until it's ready.

> * Modify Apache so that once a worker process has generated the
> response data, it passes the socket (or possibly just the response
> data) back to a single process to finish off (rather like lingerd
> does)

See the event mpm;

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/event.html

It is still under development, but is relatively stable and functional
in non-SSL (or other situations in which input filtering is required)
environments.