httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: It's that time of the year again
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:00:44 GMT
On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:34:29PM -0400, Rian A Hunter wrote:
> I think a SoC project that profiles Apache (and finds out where we
> fall short) so that we are able to compete with other lightweight HTTP
> servers popping up these days would be a good endeavor for any CS
> student.

Right now, I'm getting 22k reqs/sec from Apache httpd, and 18k/sec from
lighttpd. Simple things like using epoll, or the way the worker
balancing is done have huge effects compared to the tiny improvements
refactoring code can have.

> This seems to be more viable for our threaded MPMs. For the prefork
> MPM, maybe a goal for 10,000 connections might be impractical.

With prefork I can generally push about 27,000 concurrent connections
before things get hairy. With worker, I have a usable system up to
83,000 concurrent connections, without much effort.

> I haven't done any benchmarks myself, I've just read results so anyone
> correct me if I'm wrong.

Dan Kegels page is years out of date, and was uninformed even when it
wasn't :)