httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: It's that time of the year again
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:31:50 GMT
On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 06:44:11PM +1000, John Vandenberg wrote:
> A "cool" project that appears to needs a coder is mod_bittorrent.

There's already a mod_bittorrent, but it only produces .torrent files
dynamically, it doesn't act as as a seed or participate in the p2p.
There's mod_torrent too which has ceased development.

A working bittorrent module for httpd is directly useful to me, and it's
been on my personal TODO for a while now, so it's something I'd be happy
to mentor.

> The initial objective is to dynamically build a torrent file for a
> user requested file.  This could be integrated into httpd by sending
> large files as torrents when the user agent states that it accepts
> application/x-bittorrent, and/or when the server notices that the
> number of downloads for the file has risen rapidly.

Nah, that's boring and far too trivial imo. We need a bittorrent
protocol implementation, the host needs to act as a seed too :)