httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r393037 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES server/protocol.c
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:55:20 GMT
On Tuesday 11 April 2006 22:10, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> > On 04/11/2006 04:00 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> >>It probably needs to be updated for RFC 3986 anyway.  The path should
> >>be set to "", not NULL.  The HTTP server should take care of the
> >>redirect from "" to "/", which in this case means the http-proxy
> >>needs to check for "" when it sends a request and respond with a
> >>redirect that adds the "/".

Um, it's not really a redirect; it's just a normalisation.  Shouldn't
really invoke any redirect logic, whether internal or external.

> > In general I agree, but I think the transformation from "" to "/"
> > must happen very early to avoid disturbing the cache code in the quick
> > handler. So I guess this could be only done in the post_read_request hook
> > of the proxy, but I don't think that we can trigger a redirect from this
> > hook. Provided my thoughts are not wrong, anybody an idea how to solve
> > this?

Just adjust the URL itself in that hook?

> If I read this correctly, http://foo.example.com is wrong, whereas
> http://foo.example.com/ is correct.

No.  Both forms are correct, and equivalent (by definition).

> Does it merit an external redirect,
> much as http://foo.example.com/dirname would externally redirect the
> user to http://foo.example.com/dirname/

That's different, because the two are of course distinct in URL-space.

--
Nick Kew