httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 2.2.2 Candidate
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 06:08:55 GMT
Hey The Doctor (what's your name?),

On Apr 23, 2006, at 6:24 PM, The Doctor wrote:

> MAjor Failure.  I got thes erver to compile properly,   the
> httpd*.conf
> to assimilate properly, but on start-up choke!

Couple of questions:

1) How does it choke?
2) Does the server start?
3) Does it print output to stderr?
4) Does it write output to its error log?
5) Does it receive a signal (like a segfault or so)?
6) Do you get a core?
7) Could you send us a backtrace?

> REason could be due to the following:

(Deleted shtml source)

Are you sure about that? The server only reads the documents when
they are actually served. Above, you say that you have problems on
startup. Do you also have problems serving documents? If so, I'd like
you to answer questions 4-7 above for when you send the server a
request for the document that gives you problems.

To give us a readable backtrace from a core file, we'll likely need
debug symbols in the binary. Unfortunately, the 2.2.2 release
candidate will not build for you with -DDEBUG. This is a known issue
and has been fixed on trunk. You can apply the same fix as follows:

$ cd /path/to/your/httpd-2.2.2/srclib/pcre
$ svn diff -r381782:381783 \
      http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/srclib/pcre/
printint.c | patch -p0

And then build with -DDEBUG as you tried before.

I assume you know how to get a coredump on BSD/OS: I don't have
access to that platform so I can't figure that out for you. Probably
ulimit -c unlimited before you run apachectl start, that's how it
works for me on FreeBSD and Darwin.

Before, you mentioned some problems that we think may be due to
installing a new version of the server over an older, 2.0 based
version. To make sure you don't have any stale files, please build by
running configure --with-prefix=/path/to/something/safe --with-
layout=Apache ...

Thank you for testing on BSD/OS: while it is related to the BSD
versions many of us use from day to day, I don't know if any of the
regular participants on this list have access to a BSD/OS system.

Regards,

Sander