httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: authz module source compatibility 2.2 -> 2.3
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:54:39 GMT
> {>>> On 3/16/2006 at 10:26 am, in message <44199FAD.3080208@ukf.net>,
Max Bowsher
> <maxb1@ukf.net> wrote:
> Thankyou. In light of this clarification, I have a further question:
is
>there any reason why mod_authz_default should not be folded into
>mod_authz_core?

It could be, but it remains separate for several reasons.  First,
mod_authz_default could disappear in 3.0.  Much of its purpose is to
bridge the gap between the 2.2/2.0 access control (ie. satisfy
directive) and the 2.3 access control (require directive).  Second, both
modules need to hook the same auth_checker hook but at different times
and they also provide a different set of directives.  Third, since there
is a mod_authn_default, maintaining a mod_authz_default seems more
consistent.  Both mod_authz_core and mod_authz_default provide different
sets of functionality.  Merging them would be more like implementing two
modules within the same .c file rather than merged functionality.

Brad