httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: authz module source compatibility 2.2 -> 2.3
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:00:54 GMT
> {>>> On 3/16/2006 at 9:19 am, in message <4419902E.6030501@ukf.net>,
Max Bowsher
> <maxb1@ukf.net> wrote:
> What is the expected level of source compatibility for authz modules
>between 2.2 and 2.3?
>
>I'm confused, as some parts of the authz framework on trunk seem to
be
>attempting to allow some compatibility, whilst other parts do not.
>
>Clarification would be welcome, as I'd like to write some patches for
>the authz code, but don't want to do unnecessary work upholding
>compatibility that isn't actually intended, or produce flawed patches
>which decrease compatibility.
>

>Thanks,
>Max.

It is less than going from 2.0 -> 2.2.  Authn modules will need to be
recompiled but should not need to be patched.  Authz modules on the
other hand will need to be converted from hook based to provider based.
You can see the work that would need to be done to an Authz module by
comparing a 2.2 authz module source with one from trunk.  As far as
compatibility goes, authz functionality remains the same but the module
architecture is different.

Brad