httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_ajp - The purpose of FLUSHING_BANDAID
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 20:53:46 GMT

On 03/07/2006 08:58 PM, Mladen Turk wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> The current implementation breaks a simple timeout write:
> out.write("Hello");
> Thread.sleep(2000);
> out.write("World");
>
> It will send the 'Hello', but only after additional thread
> finishes and times out.

Given the above example, I think now that I understand the trouble
you see with the bandaid approach much better. The bandaid implementation
will cause "Hello" to be send to the client immediately, provided that "Hello"
is sent in a separate AJP SEND_BODY_CHUNK message from Tomcat to httpd
(not checked if this is the case or if the out stream is buffered somehow
before creating AJP packets).
This may be unwanted. OTH even if you do not have any kind of additional
flushing inside mod_proxy_ajp the same thing can happen, provided that you sent
enough data to httpd before the out.write("Hello") because the buffer of
the core filter is full and thus flushes to the client.

Regards

RĂ¼diger