httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re:mod_proxy_ajp - The purpose of FLUSHING_BANDAID
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 19:36:15 GMT
Plüm wrote:
> As a summary from your side I see:
>
> 1. Extend AJP protocol [The desired target from my view].

Desireable to line up with, say, Tomcat6.  But this really doesn't help the
installed base of Tomcat 4/5, right?  With the evolving spec, progressive
java prereqs, it's pretty easy for some less-maintained apps to get 'stuck'
on the older Tomcats, so we can't just insist 'upgrade it all'.

> 2. Add an option to flush after every AJP packet [has some drawbacks from my
>    point of view (s.o).]

Must we flush at the end of each packet?  Or may we simply flush at the end of
the current pass brigade and each EOR mark?  In either case existing jk-style
support should be default (flushed) with the -option- to optimize for those
apps who aren't harmed by streaming.