httpd-dev mailing list archives

From David Burry <dbu...@tagnet.org>
Subject Re: SSL enabled name virtual hosts
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:27:28 GMT
Boyle Owen wrote:
> [...]
Versign etc.) are not too keen on selling wildcards for the simple reason that it reduces
the number of certs required (and hence sold) - a bit like the everlasting light bulb... Was
that your experience?

Yes, it was bought... So far the experience has been awesome (other than
the previously mentioned apache architecture limitation workarounds).
There are some cert sellers out there who are getting competitive in
this respect, maybe not the original big guys such as the ones you
mention yet, but it would be absolutely impossible for us to do what
we're doing right now without this kind of cert, it's not feasible to
buy a class B block of IP addresses and we couldn't afford that many
individual certs unless they were only a couple bucks apiece or less!

Dave