httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Event MPM accept() handling
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:55:38 GMT
Saju Pillai wrote:

> I can understand why serializing apr_pollset_poll() & accept() for the
> listener threads doesn't make sense in the event-mpm.   A quick look
> through the code leaves me confused about the following ...
 >
>  It looks like all the listener threads epoll() simultaenously on the
> listener sockets + their private set of sockets added to the pollset by
> workers.

looks like you are correct.

originally there was a separate event thread for everything but new connections and the
listener thread's accept serialization was the same as worker's.  then it seemed like a
good idea to merge the listener and event threads, and it only supported a single worker
process briefly.  since there was only one merged listener/event thread in the whole
server there was nothing to serialize at that time.  then a few of us grumbled about what

happens if some 3rd party module seg faults or leaks memory and we went back to multiple
worker processes.

>   Will apr_pollset_poll() return "success" to each listener if a
> new connection arrives on a main listener socket ? If so won't each
> listener attempt to accept() the new connection ?

I think so, but I'm not a fancy poll expert.  Paul?

then the question is how bad is it?

Greg

Greg