httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [Patch] Keep Alive not workwing with mod_proxy (PR38602)
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:22:16 GMT

On Feb 13, 2006, at 12:57 PM, Brian Akins wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
>>  there is no guarantee that the next
>> kept-alive connection will go to the same backend;
>> as such, keeping it open is wasteful and re-using
>> it is downright wrong.
>
> Why?  Why would we care which backend a request goes to, in
> general. And, do we not want to use keepalives as much as possible
> to the backends?

Let's assume that you have Apache setup as a proxy and furthermore
it's configured so that /html goes to foo1 and /images goes
to /foo2.

A request comes in for /html/index.htm, and gets proxied to
foo1, as it should; the connection is kept-alive, and a
request for /images/blarf.gif is requested; this should not
be sent to the just kept-alive server, but instead to
foo2...

So we need to ensure that this doesn't happen. We had a similar
type bug when picking workers out, which was patched in
349723...