httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rian Hunter <r...@MIT.EDU>
Subject Bouncing messages in mod_smtpd
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 15:15:31 GMT
Hey!

January has brought in some great improvements to mod_smtpd. If you
compare the code now to the code six months ago you'll see that it is
very clean and very workable now, not that it wasn't before it's just
that now some distinctions have been made that makes thinking about
extending mod_smtpd a lot easier. I expect plugin writers to bring up
some points where mod_smtpd will have to be extended, and those
extensions will happen when the time is right.

Anyway, I'm facing one issue. When an SMTP envelope has more than one
recipient and the queue plugins are only able to queue some of them
mod_smtpd has the responsibility to bounce the unqueued messages back
to the sender. Of course in a proper set up this shouldn't happen
because mod_smtpd won't give a "250 Ok" response to the "RCPT"
command if it doesn't support the recipient, but there might be cases
where a plugin is unable to queue for other unexpected reasons.

mod_smtpd needs a bouncing mechanism! I need some help with this
because I am not sure how to approach this. Should I implement an
entire SMTP client in mod_smtpd to bounce messages? Should I relegate
this responsibility to a sendmail command or what platform specific
mailer there is? Are there other options?

I want to dedicate the rest of this week to writing some drafts of
documentation and a website for mod_smtpd, so if someone would like
to volunteer to mess with bouncing that would be a great help! The
code to look at is in
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/mod_smtpd/trunk/src/
smtp_protocol.c, the function is smtpd_bounce_unqueued
(smtpd_session_rec *). Thanks!!

Rian Hunter