httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Serf, WAS: Re: AW: AW: svn commit: r378032 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES modules/proxy/mod_proxy_http.c modules/proxy/proxy_util.c
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:37:00 GMT
On 2/20/06, Sander Striker <striker@apache.org> wrote:
> > For me that puts the question on the table if using "fake" request_rec
> > and conn_rec structures for the backend connections is really a good
> > idea. This "misuse" already leads to problems in other areas.
> > But reworking this will take much time and work and is only mid to
> > long term. Might be easier if we have a http / https client library
> > as part of httpd or apr-util.
>
> Something like this maybe:
>
>   http://svn.webdav.org/repos/projects/serf/trunk/
>
> It started out to become apr-serf, made a jump to the short-lived
> Commons, and ended up at webdav.org.  There is a current effort
> by Justin Erenkrantz to get Serf completed, or at least complete
> enough to complete ra_serf, a Subversion remote access library.
> I expect that with a couple of months the churn is gone, and its
> API stable enough to use here in HTTP Server land.

Yup.

I'm currently 'sponsored' by Google to produce ra_serf - so that's my
short-term focus.  If you don't follow dev@subversion, ra_serf + Serf
can now do a checkout from a mod_dav_svn setup:

http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-02/1025.shtml

Long-term, Greg and I and others who contributed to the early days of
Serf have always left open the possibility of closing the cycle with
httpd - both as for a replacement for mod_proxy's client code and as
another (ideally more efficient) design to do filters across httpd.
However, that's not in scope for me to do in the next few months.