httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <bnicho...@novell.com>
Subject Re: Change in how to configure authorization
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:11:22 GMT
<20060214105052.GA30079@redhat.com>,
jorton@redhat.com wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 03:42:27PM -0700, Brad Nicholes wrote:
>>
>> The other problem that I see in the configuration is that the
<Location
>> /authany> defines an authtype and authname but no authentication
>> provider.  This means that the authentication provider will default
>> 'file'.  But since there hasn't been a password file specified
either,
>> the result is an AUTH_GENERAL_ERROR.  This scenario would occur
with
>> either 2.2 or trunk.
>
> mod_authany is supposed to key off the AuthName configured for the
> location - if it's equal to "authname" then it kicks in and does the

> dummy authz hack.  No argument that this is a weird hack, but this
> worked in 2.2 and earlier, is there any way it can do something
similar
> without requiring a config file change?
>
> joe

This is where I am a little confused.  The AUTH_GENERAL_ERROR is coming
from the authn side not authz and nothing has really changed in authn
between 2.2 and 2.3.  So I don't understand how it worked in 2.2.
Looking at the code again, I think you are still going to need the
authany_handler() to handle the authentication.  If mod_auth_basic tries
to handle the authentication, then it will attempt to default to 'file'
and fail as I mentioned before.  In fact, everything that was working
before should continue to work correctly.  There is nothing to prevent a
module from grabbing the same check_user_id and auth_checker hooks and
handling them.

Brad