httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Patch] Keep Alive not workwing with mod_proxy (PR38602)
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:31:43 GMT

On 02/13/2006 07:28 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>
 > The real problem is that we've never paid attention to the backend server.
> If speaking to a backend http/1.0 server, we can try connection: keep-alive
> if the server pays attention to it.  That header is invalid for http/1.1

Out of interest which part of which rfc (2616 / 2068) says that connection: keep-alive
is invalid for http/1.1?
I see this header send frequently by browsers that speak http/1.1 (of course
this does not mean that this is rfc compliant :-)

> backends, and we should choose connection: close where appropriate.
>
> To a backend http/1.0 server, connection: close is meaningless (and wrong).

Agreed. But I actually only do this when I sent an HTTP/1.1 request.
BTW: This is how the code currently works and this is not changed by my patch.

Another question: Do you see the need for some kind of detection code on the first
request to a backend server whether it speaks HTTP/1.1 or only HTTP/1.0?

Regards

RĂ¼diger