httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: [Patch] Keep Alive not workwing with mod_proxy (PR38602)
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:28:48 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> Currently I work on PR 38602 (
> First of all the reporter is correct that we do not sent the
> Connection: Keep-Alive
> header on our HTTP/1.1 keep-alive connections to the backend.
> But this is only the small part of the problem since 8.1.2 of the RFC says:
>    "A significant difference between HTTP/1.1 and earlier versions of
>    HTTP is that persistent connections are the default behavior of any
>    HTTP connection. That is, unless otherwise indicated, the client
>    SHOULD assume that the server will maintain a persistent connection,"

The real problem is that we've never paid attention to the backend server.
If speaking to a backend http/1.0 server, we can try connection: keep-alive
if the server pays attention to it.  That header is invalid for http/1.1
backends, and we should choose connection: close where appropriate.

To a backend http/1.0 server, connection: close is meaningless (and wrong).

View raw message