httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: RFC: 2.2 vs third-party 2.0 auth modules
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2006 16:15:53 GMT
<20060206152607.GA16595@redhat.com>,
jorton@redhat.com wrote:
> Whilst 2.2 is, as advertised, source-compatible with 2.0 auth
modules,
> the current implementation requires that any auth configuration using

> such modules is changed to add "AuthBasicAuthoritative off" otherwise

> mod_auth_basic will see "no provider configured -> use default file
> provider -> fails (since no AuthUserFile is configured) -> deny
access".

> (the failure mode for this is particularly ugly: after an upgrade, a

> previously-working configuration turns into a 500 error with a weird

> error message logged as ap_pcfg_openfile returns APR_EBADF when
passed
> the NULL filename by mod_authn_file)
>
> There are lots of 2.0-compatible auth modules out there, and upgrades

> which require admins to make changes to .htaccess files are not very

> attractive, so I think it's worth solving this problem if possible.
>
> Solutions I can see:
>
> - only have mod_auth_basic be authoritative if AuthBasicProvider is
> configured
>
> - use some hack such that mod_auth_basic will DECLINE iff no provider
is
> configured and mod_authn_file throws the AUTHN_GENERAL_ERROR.
(attached
> as proof of concept)
>
> Any thoughts, better ideas?
>
> jo

Although the first solution would be cleaner, it would cause a change
in behavior when mod_auth_basic legitimately defaults to the file
provider.  So your second solution would probably be the best.  Of
course this would only happen if mod_auth_basic is loaded.  If it isn't
needed and loaded, the third party modules should work fine.

Brad