httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: proxy failover/load balance
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2006 22:08:42 GMT

On 02/01/2006 03:34 PM, Plüm wrote:

>>>changes to the trunk tonight, so that it works at least in the
>>>cumbersome way :-).
>>>

> I will cut the breaks from the patch to keep the current syntax alive.
> The correct syntax should be defined and discussed later.
> And of course documented, once there is a decision on that :-).

Finally I found some time to continue my work on this problem.
As of now I only committed the change that prevents mod_proxy_balancer
from overwriting the status of workers when creating a new child process
(http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=374929&view=rev).
As announced I left the IMHO somewhat cryptic syntax to predefine the status
of a worker in the configuration as it is. So to disable a worker at start
status=disabled cannot be used, but status=d must be used instead.

Even more important I did no further changes which means that automatic
failover as wanted by Robby still does not work.
During my search for a solution of this I got more and more unsure of what
is the desired behaviour of what configuration. So I would like to start
a discussion here.

I see at least the following questions:

1. What is the exact meaning of a disabled worker? Should it be considered
   for use if find_best_worker cannot find a worker in non error mode and nofailover
   is set to off?
   Should a redirected worker that is disabled be used?

2. What about chains of redirects (worker 'a' has a redirect to worker 'b',
   worker 'b' has a redirect to worker 'c')?

Regards

Rüdiger