httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: A Bloat of Libraries
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 23:18:48 GMT
--On January 3, 2006 11:09:34 PM +0000 Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:

> That is of course resolved by LoadFile /lib/libz.so, which is what I
> contend should be standard practice.  So when another module
> relies on libz, there's no side effect that manifests mysteriously
> according to whether and when mod_deflate is loaded.

I strongly disagree.  Forcing the user to manually track all of the library
dependencies is insane.  If someone wants to shoot themselves in the foot,
fine - you can do it.  But, we shouldn't force everyone to fit your
preferred model because you want a few less libraries.

Again, there are substantial libtool issues that come into play that limit
what we can realistically do.

>> SSL seems to be the worst culprit.  httpd gets linked against tons
>> of stuff so that I cannot copy the binary to a non-ssl enabled host.
>
> Indeed.  That principle applies equally to SQL client libs for DBD,
> to DBM libs, and somewhat even to things like expat.

Expat is brought in by apr-util, so you'd have to add dynamic loading of
expat to apr-util.  In my opinion, it's a maze of twisty passages that
isn't worth the payoff.  -- justin