httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:21:23 GMT
Jess Holle wrote:

> Okay, that was not quite clear and is helpful to know.  So you're saying
> that if we build with the latest MS dev/net studio modules built with MS
> VC++ 6 won't work?

*potentially*.  In practice they should interoperate.  In fact mod_aspdotnet
already does, it's compiled under Studio .NET (now porting it to Studio 2005)
but runs under VC6-built Apache.

The basic issue is with handing off clib resources, e.g. malloc()ed memory,
FILE * handles (stdio style), etc.  There is no issue with apr objects that
you don't diddle with, and no issues with native Win32 API objects that you
kick around.

In fact, it's the same set of issues you get into running a module compiled
in debug mode on a release build server, or visa versa.

> It would be good for the overall Apache community to know what they
> should build 2.2 with for maximum compatibility with non-open-source
> modules built by others in the community.  Another driver, of course, is
> leveraging the best compiler/optimizer possible without sacrificing too
> much compatibility.
>
> What's the strategy here?

Bill