httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <brian.ak...@turner.com>
Subject mod_cache performance
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:25:43 GMT
Greetings all,

I may finally have some time to work on some mod_cache issues that have
been nagging me.  Mostly performance things.  I really want to stop
maintaining my own version here, but to do that mod_cache needs to be
sped up a bit.

I'm setting up a dev environment now, so hopefully I should have
something usable soon.  Unfortunately, most patches I have submitted for
mod_cache have basically been ignored.

Are there any general ideas you guys have in where the performance
bottlenecks may be?

A short list I have (mostly mod_disk_cache):

-read_table and read_array seem slower than they should be
-"thundering herd" when a popular object expires
-writing out request headers when not varying

I have submitted patches for some of these in the past, but I will try
to quantify the performance implications of these.

--
Brian Akins
Lead Systems Engineer