httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: AW: AW: AW: 2.2 mod_http_proxy and "partial" pages
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 07:20:55 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>

>> Thanks to Jim for reviewing the patch. He detected one missed patch
>> and made some comments in the code clearer. The new patch list now:
>

> Quick consideration;
>
> Rather than look for HTTP_BAD_GATEWAY error bucket, we can actually
> generalize the problem.  ANY metadata bucket that isn't recognized and
> handled by an intermediate filter probably indiciates a problem; and
> therefore the result is a non-cacheable, broken response.

Actually two cases.  In the error bucket case, it's non-cacheable, and broken.
In the unrecognized bucket type case, it's non-cacheable (a 'complex' response),
but it is likely serveable to the front end client.  In both cases, if mod_cache
doesn't grok what it sees, then something 'interesting' is going on and we would
not want to deposit into the cache.

This would guard against new designs causing new troublesome interactions with
mod_cache.  As some new bucket type is 'taught' to mod_cache, it can grow to
handle otherwise harmless requests.  But I suspect that the module should err
on the side of paranoia.

Bill