httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: A Bloat of Libraries
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:02:41 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 08:54:01AM +0000, Joe Orton wrote:
>
>>>Again, there are substantial libtool issues that come into play that limit
>>>what we can realistically do.
>>
>>I don't see any here.  2.2.x links only mod_deflate against -lz and only
>>mod_ssl against $(SSL_LIBS).  The 2.0.x way only linking dependent
>>libraries into httpd is broken for the not unexpected case of having a
>>static OpenSSL build or a static libz, etc.
>

> Try to create a static mod_deflate that links against -lz.  GNU libtool
> doesn't like that combination at all.  (It just silently drops the -lz.)
>
> It's the one major problem I keep running into with the 2.2 series.  I keep
> having to add -lz to AP_LIBS or make mod_deflate shared.  -- justin

That's the gut of it... first you aren't creating a STATIC mod_deflate, ever.
You're either creating a loadable mod_deflate module, or you are creating httpd
and it needs to bind to any of mod_deflate's dependencies as well as it's own.

Also consider OpenSSL itself, which now has ties into libz.so, either dynamic,
static (bad - because you now clash with mod_deflate), or even load on demand
(the 'ZLIB_DYNAMIC' design).  I'm discovering ZLIB_DYNAMIC isn't exactly what
I wanted.  I'm also discovering that the 'right thing' is probably for libssl.so
to be dynamically linked to libcrypto.so, but of course the openssl build system
is, uhm, unique :)  And goes to prove the complexity of the problem you identify
--- trying to replace libtool.

More thoughts later, just wanted to record these few.

Bill