httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r360461 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES include/ap_mmn.h include/httpd.h server/protocol.c
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:02:07 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2006, at 2:14 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> Now, if you want to tell me that those changes produced a net
>> performance benefit on prefork (and thus are applicable to other  MPMs),
>> then I am all ears.  I am easily convinced by comparative performance
>> figures when the comparison is meaningful.

lol, of course you choose the non-threaded MPM as a reference, which therefore
should receive no meaningful performance change.  The difference between an
async wakeup and a poll result should be null for one socket pool, one process,
one thread (of course select is a differently ugly beast, and if there were
a platform that supported async with no poll, I'd laugh.)

> BTW, part of the reason I say that is because I have considered
> replacing the same code with something that doesn't parse the
> header fields until the request header/body separator line is
> seen, since that would allow the entire request header to be parsed
> in-place for the common case.

Well ... you are using protocol knowledge that will render us http-bound
when it comes time to efficently bind waka (no crlf delims in a binary format
protocol, no?) or ftp (pushes a 'greeting' before going back to sleep.)

But I'd agree these changes are radical enough that maintaining the async
branch a while longer is probably a good thing.

Bill