httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: CHANGES attribution reminder
Date Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:19:13 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> On 01/21/2006 11:11 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> >

> [..cut..]
>

> >>If the patch is supplied by an external person I like to
> >>see the name of the committer in the CHANGES file who actually
> >>applied the patch even if goes in unchanged. This is
> >>not to appease the ego of the committer, but to have the information
> >>at hand who reviewed, possibly tested and committed the patch.
> >>Of course this information is also in subversion, but I think it
> >>eases investigations.
> >>

> > Nope. That's what subversion is for. Not CHANGES.
> >

> Ok. Then I had a different understanding from my osmosis :-).
> Any other comments on this?
> I have no problem adopting the above rules for future CHANGE entries.

It's what we've been doing for over 10 years :)

You weren't around, I think, when we were using CVS, but when one
did a commit there, there was a format that was prepended to
each commit message, where the PR number was placed, the
source of the patch and space to list who tested or approved
the patch. This went away when we went to SVN (I wonder if
it can be re-inserted??). Anyway, looking at CHANGES should
also strongly imply this since one sees *numerous* entries where
the attribution refers to someone who lacks commit privs, so
how could it have been applied? :)

No worries though; this is all part of a learning curve ;)