httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: mod_mbox helper scripts and programs
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:22:18 GMT
On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 05:56:38PM +0100, Maxime Petazzoni wrote:
> I understand why these scripts are important in order to maintain the
> ASF mail archives website. These scripts call some helper programs
> (actually contained in the trunk/module-2.0/ directory) to process the
> mailbox files.

No, they don't.  They can call either mod-mbox-util or the helper apps.  (I
really don't like mod-mbox-util - busybox still apps are awful and are
confusing to understand; but I obviously lost that battle.)

I think without these scripts mod_mbox is largely useless.  You need some
scripts to help generate the archives.  So, even though they are customized
for our setup, they are a help (in the category of 'better than nothing')
to users who would download mod_mbox to help understand how it all works
together to create a real archive site on the backend.

> I guess you've been using binaries compiled long ago, before the API
> breakage, but since a lot of improvments and changes in the APR during
> this period of time, I just wonder how the whole thing can
> work.

No.  The scripts use mod-mbox-util.

> Next, I would like to make you notice that these scripts do not belong
> the the module's source code because they are not useful and made for
> the mod_mbox user (as an admin) but only for an internal purpose. Thus
> I propose that we move the scripts directory one level up :

I think they do belong and should be included in a release.  Namely, I
don't buy Roy's arguments against including them.  The potential benefit to
understanding how mod_mbox works outweighs the slight cost of including
some small scripts.  If anyone ever bothers to rewrite them, more power to
them.  However, not including *any* documentation or examples in the
tarball seems much worse than excluding these scripts.

If we had a full on manual that explains how someone would set up a real
archive site with mod_mbox, and a useful README file, maybe I would think
differently - but we don't.  -- justin