As someone who knows all of the Windows build platforms well...
my 2 cents jives with your decision, Bill.

Using MSVC 6.0 at this point and keeping the makefiles
is the only 'sane' thing to do at this point.

There are ISSUES with just about any of the newer platforms
including the obvious "where o where did the makefiles go" stuff.

Someone said it a few messages ago ( I think it was you, Bill ).
httpd is an OPEN SOURCE project ( --keyword=source ).

Let other people who need/must/or just want to use some other
build environment have at it with other and find/solve the
issues and post solutions back to the project. That's how it's
supposed to work.

I know Apache is pretty much your "full time job", Bill... but that
still doesn't mean you're supposed to do EVERYTHING.

Yours...
Kevin

PS: Whatever became of that nifty perl script nmake makefile-to-project-file
conversion script you were working on? It was almost working fine
at one point? Maybe you should post that into a distribution and let
some other Perl wizard take it into the end zone. Might be needed later.