httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexey Toptygin <>
Subject Re: 2.0 hook questions
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 04:02:18 GMT
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> But be certain it's truly static, process lifetime scope data that you
> are storing there.  Most of the time, it's wrong to persist through the
> graceful restarts and so forth.  In my aspdotnet implementation, though,
> it's not possible to tear down the MS .NET engine, so it's easier to leave
> one instance running for the lifetime of the process.

Well, what I'm planning on using the post_config hook for is creating a
shared memory segment with apr_shm that the workers will use as an auth
credentials cache. Since the auth configuration could change across
a gracefull restart, that would invalidate the cache... so i guess I
should be shm_destroy()ing the segment if it already exists and creting a
new one, like mod_auth_digest does? Or maybe I need mod_ssl's somewhat
more complex approach... which doesn't seem to be guarding against
running twice on startup? Does mod_ssl really do init twice, or am I
missing something obvious?

the more I learn about apache, the more confused I get. At least I
can read the code, unlike NSAPI :-P

View raw message