httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: What do you want in HTTPD 2.4/3.0/X/GREEN?
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:52:44 GMT

On Dec 7, 2005, at 2:01 PM, Brandon Fosdick wrote:

>> Configuration .. make it configurable. by that I mean allowing
>> people to
>> use LDAP or a DB to hold the configuration files, and not a flat
>> file.
>> This is mainly intended for large server farms. Currently the main
>> reason for logging onto a webserver is to change it's
>> configuration (and
>> bounce) .. if we could reduce that to just 'bounce' it might make
>> life
>> easier. (or some method where it checks configs every X minutes and
>> autobounces..removing the need to log onto the machine at all ;-)
>
> Would it be possible to use something like fam (or kqueue on
> FreeBSD) and
> have httpd notified whenever the config file changes? That would solve
> part of the above desire without requiring the extensive changes
> needed to
> go to a db/ldap system.
>
> OTOH, what if config loading was handled by a provider module that
> could
> then fetch the info from a file, db, ldap, whatever...

Yeah, maybe it's time to re-open this discussion... previously,
whenever we thought about adding more "functionality" to
the config file, it was discouraged because it increases the
complexity of Apache for something that could more easily be
done via an external process (ie: a script that reads in LDAP
info and autogens a "normal" httpd.conf file)...