httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: AW: 2.2 mod_http_proxy and "partial" pages
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 04:38:53 GMT
On Dec 8, 2005, at 6:58 AM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 06:16:42PM -0800, Roy Fielding wrote:
>> Setting the inbound c->aborted within a filter just to indicate
>> that the outbound connection has died is wrong -- it prevents
>> other parts of the server (that are working fine) from correctly
>> handling the bad gateway response.
>
> FWIW, it's not a filter - it's the handler itself that is setting
> c->aborted.

The handler is just the top of the filter stack.  The point is that
it doesn't know anything about the other end (the c connection) and
thus can't know if it should be aborted.  waka, for example, has an
abort mechanism on the wire and thus would be horribly abused by
such a workaround.

> If you have another idea how to specify via the handler that the
> connection
> needs to be dropped, I'm all ears.  But, I couldn't see one.  --
> justin

I would extend the EOS bucket data to be an errno and then have
mod_cache check for that data != 0 when it does its EOS check.

I am surprised it wasn't implemented that way in the first place.

....Roy