httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: 2.0 hook questions
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 03:11:23 GMT
Alexey Toptygin wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> Alexey Toptygin wrote:
>>

>>> I tested, and the post_config hook does indeed get called twice. Why?
>>

>> Apache processes the configuration, and verifies that it's correct
>> while still
>> connected to the console.  It then flushes the config, detaches, and
>> reprocesses
>> the configuration.
>>
>> It's been this way since 0.6 or 0.8 according to Roy who's sitting
>> here :)
>

> Sorry, I'm new to apache development :-) Is the hack that
> mod_auth_digest uses OK to reuse in my code?

I've had to use the same hack in mod_aspdotnet.

But be certain it's truly static, process lifetime scope data that you
are storing there.  Most of the time, it's wrong to persist through the
graceful restarts and so forth.  In my aspdotnet implementation, though,
it's not possible to tear down the MS .NET engine, so it's easier to leave
one instance running for the lifetime of the process.