httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Directions for Win32 binary httpd
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:16:24 GMT

On 12/08/2005 06:57 PM, Nick Kew wrote:
> On Thursday 08 December 2005 17:07, Francis ANDRE wrote:

[..cut..]

> I really don't like the idea of having to install ant just to build apache.
> It's a major new dependency, yet adds nothing to the server.

Also my opinion. Ant is a great tool for many things, but not for this as
much of the work that needs to be done during the build process is
detecting platform specific things.
We already have a working build system that is based on standard tools and
I see no real gain in changing the build system again.

Furthermore you need a platform with a recent JDK. Of course our main platforms should provide
this, but I think many of the platforms on the outer rim do not have this.
Converting the build system to Ant would cancel support for those platforms.

Regards

RĂ¼diger