httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Directions for Win32 binary httpd
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2005 14:28:34 GMT
Francis ANDRE wrote:

> I do not address APR, but httpd. So even if APR seems to need make
> (while I am not really convince that ant cannot makes the job)., ant
> could be use for the httpd build process.

The biggest body of work that needs to be done during the build is
handled in the ./configure script. The ./configure script (built by
autoconf) is designed already to handle the different types of make out
there.

Changing from make to ant would involve teaching autoconf to create
./configure to make ant scripts instead of Makefiles, and that's just
doing the same thing just using a different program, it buys nothing.

If however you extended ant so that it could do the job of
autoconf/configure, then you would be onto something. But only on
platforms that supported Java, of course.

Regards,
Graham