httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brandon Fosdick <b...@bfoz.net>
Subject Re: What do you want in HTTPD 2.4/3.0/X/GREEN?
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2005 01:13:32 GMT
Joost de Heer wrote:
>>> That could be external to httpd.  Just have a monitor (or in cfengine,
>>> or whatever) that when the config changes it issues a graceful restart.
>>> Simple and straight-forward.
>

> Oops, I made a typo, and pressed save..... poof there goes my website!
>
> IMO, it's a bad idea to automagically restart when the config changes.

Not necessarily. For instance, the FreeBSD port installs a wrapper script that checks the
validity of the config files before allowing a (re)start. It even uses httpd to do the check.
So, as long as httpd uses its existing validity checker to decide whether or not to do an
auto-restart your website should be fine.

Of course, that doesn't really help much if you made a typo that results in a valid config,
but there's nothing to stop that now either.