httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [Fwd: OpenSSL Patents?]
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:43:08 GMT
Nils Larsch wrote:

> afaik the included ec algorithms are not tainted by patents but as some
> countries have braindead patent laws you can never be sure ...

Obviously neither the openssl nor apache httpd projects take responsibility
for deep patent searches, and should we discover we have offended, we simply
pull down the offending project/release until it's resolved.

Whoever contributed those algorithms knows from their research if patent
claims existed on the published background work they drew from, which is
why I ask.  I'm not asking for any accounting of submarine patents, just
those known to the authors of that code :)

Thanks Nils!

Bill